Beatrice Wiafe Addai
Beatrice WIAFE ADDAI, M.D.,PhD
C.E.O., Peace and Love Hospitals,
President, Breast Care International
Dr. (Mrs.) Beatrice Wiafe Addai has 24 years experience as a Medical officer in Ghana; thus from 1989 to Date. She has been a Breast Surgeon for the past twelve years and a consultant in Breast Cancer Management.
Her training and wide scope of study as a specialist Breast Pathologist and a surgeon has placed her at a convenient exposition as the Chief Executive Officer and the Senior Medical Officer of the Peace and Love Hospital both in Accra and Kumasi; a specialist hospital that is championing the course of Breast Cancer and its related diseases in Ghana.
Due to her charisma, Dr. Wiafe Addai is known as a fine role model and inspiration to women and society as a whole and the quest for a unique professionalism as far as patients care and welfare are concerned. By God’s grace and her endowed knowledge, hundreds of women have been healed of various diseases through her directives particularly Breast Cancer.
From a humble beginning since eleven years ago, Peace and Love Hospital now serves as a resource Centre for the Diagnosis, treatment, Counseling, Rehabilitation, and Research for Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Hepatitis Infections and Renal Dialysis among others. It is in view of these, other tangible facts, and through her innovation and preoccupation of developing the infrastructure of Breast Cancer Advocacy, Breast Care International (BCI), an NGO that seeks to the promotion of Breast Cancer Awareness in Ghana especially in the remote communities was concerted in 2002 in Kumasi to intensify public awareness on the disease.
This Public Awareness campaign has salvaged hundreds of women from the devastating effect of Breast Cancer and its related disease and even men.
On weekends (mostly on Sundays where most women could be reached), after the exhaustive week days, Dr. Wiafe Addai and her able team normally embark on outreach mission among women groups, churches, Second cycle and tertiary institutions, organizations, and those marginalized in rural and deprived communities, sometimes at the expense of her own financial and logistical resources.
Dr. B. Wiafe Addai is member of several professional bodies including the Ghana Medical Association, Surgical Society of Russia, Soviet Trained Graduates Association, and International Federation of University Women (IFUW). She is a board member for the National Health Insurance Capitation in Ashanti Region. She is also a member of the Board of Governors of Mpraeso Senior High School and the Kwahu Government Hospital, Atibie.
Dr. Wiafe Addai’s passion and aspiration for the prevention, awareness and treatment of breast cancer has earned her an honorable recognition in Ghana and internationally as one of the champions advocating for the eradication of the disease. By dent of her hard work, commitment and meticulous working experience in various environments and her continuous search for better ways of delivering care for Breast Cancer patients, Dr. (Wiafe-Addai has become an active international speaker. She has addressed many international conferences and symposiums sharing her rich knowledge about the disease.
1. African First Ladies Summit, Tanzania
2. Peer Review Meeting, Catalonia, Spain
3. International Symposium on breast cancer prevention – Purdue, USA
4. 4th Roche Middle East Oncology Conference – Malaysia in 2006,
5. The Scientific Conference Of the Kenya Society of Hematology and Oncology in 2006,
6. The European Institute of Oncology 9th Milan Breast Cancer Conference in June 2007,
7. 6th European Breast Cancer Conference in Berlin – Germany in April 2008,
8. The global Race 2009 at Washington DC – United State of America during which she was honored with Dinner with the US vice President Mr. Joe Biden in October 2009.
9. The Nigeria Cancer Conference at Abuja in January 2010,
10. Ghana Breast Cancer Symposium.
11. Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon forum dubbed “Summit To Save Lives” held Washington D.C, in USA.
Dr. (Mrs.) Wiafe-Addai has also received some international awards including:
1. Women That Soar Award (Medicine Category), 2013
2. International Arch European Award in the Diamond Category in Germany in 2013
3. Constellation Quality and Excellence Award in the Diamond Category in New York in May, 2012
4. Health and Excellence Award in Diamond Category in New York in May, 2012
5. Global Educators For All Initiative International Award as Millennium Global Ambassador in April, 2012
6. The International Award for Leadership in the Platinum Category, in Paris, France in April 2011
7. Africa’s Global Person of the Year, 2011
8. The Belgium-based European Society for Quality Research (ESQR) Award.
9. The European Award For Best Practices 2011 (Gold Category) the European Union (EU)
10. The International Gold Star for leadership in quality Award in Geneva, Switzerland, in September 2010.
She is also affiliated with the following international organizations:
• Vice Chairperson, AORTIC Council, West Africa
• Executive Member, IBCN, Purdue, USA
• Collaboration with Carrie’s Touch, USA
• Chair, BCI Ghana Walk for the Cure
• International Breast Cancer And Nutrition Project (IBCN)
• Collaboration with the National Cancer Coalition (NCC) of USA and Krebsallianz, Germany
• Collaboration with AORTIC Council, West Africa
• She was the Race Chair for the Second Susan G. Komen Ghana Race for the cure in Ghana in May, 2012.
• She was the Race Chair for the first ever Susan G. Komen Ghana Race for the cure in Ghana in May, 2011.
• Partnership with Loma Linda University of California (LLU) in the United States of America (USA) in the area of collaborative research in Breast Cancer and the creation of the first cancer registry in Ghana
• Member of the Global Breast Health initiative.
Dr. (Mrs.) Wiafe Addai is a wife, mother and teacher. Her manner is refined, gentle and very courteous when dealing with people. Her generosity is phenomenal just like St. Francis of Assisi or Madam Theresa of Calcutta. She is extremely modest and unassuming to the point of sometimes seeming almost hesitant in making an assertion. She does not take no for an answer, if she wants something she goes and gets it. She makes no compromises and never tries to hide mistakes concerning what matters most to her. Nor is she afraid to admit having been in the wrong. She is not a passionate or articulate Speaker, her manner is calm and serene and she appeals particularly to the intelligence.