Name: Meng Xu
Educations: M.D., PhD,
Titles: Professor, Chief physician, Chief of Department of Oncology
Working Unit: Department of Oncology，the First Affiliated Hospital Jinan University
Address: Department of Oncology，the First Affiliated Hospital Jinan University, 613 Huangpu Avenue, Guangzhou 510630, China.
1. Multidrug resistance and reversal strategy
(1) Chemotherapeutic drugs resistance in lung cancer was partly due to high expression of multidrug resistance-associated protein (MRP). in vitro chemosensitivity assay was affected by NSCLC clinic biological behaviors. Overexpression of MRP was major cause of resistance to vincristine, etoposide and adriamycin. Drug resistance of NSCLC was correlated with the descent of activities of caspase-3 and caspase-8 to induce anti-apoptosis of cancer cells.
(2) MRP siRNA was provided high-efficient and specific reversal of drug-resistance strategy. MRP siRNA with adriamycin enhanced apoptotic effect on drug-resisted lung cancer cell. Over-expression of miR-133a could suppress cell proliferation, migration and metastasis in lung cancer cell by targeting MMP-14. Chinese Herb Formula Supplement Energy and Nourish Lung SENL could obviously reverse drug resistance of lung cancer cells and has synergic effect with adriamycin on apoptotic effect through mitochondrial and caspase-dependent pathway.
(3) A series of Au/SiO2 nanoshells was synthesized. Gold nanoshell particles of recombinant human endostatin (G-rhES) under can induce enhanced tumor growth inhibition and apoptosis of lung cancer under near-infrared radiation. The new treatment strategy of G-rhES combined with thermal therapy may help to improve the remission of lung cancer.
2. Monoclonal antibody targeting basic fibroblast growth factor
(1) Monoclonal antibodies against bFGF were cloned and developed. Anti-bFGF mAbs were poential therapeutic candidates for melanoma therapy by effectively suppressing the melanoma growth through inhibition of angiogenesis and induction of apoptosis. bFGF mAb plus radiotherapy produced significant coordination antitumor effects and improved the sensitivity of radiotherapy. Combination of bFGF mAb and chemotherapy agent S-1 have coordinate inhibition effects against lung cancer proliferation and angiogenesis. bFGF-mAb can enhance the effect of chemotherapeutic and reverse drug resistance by dowm-regulating of mdr1 gene expression, inhibiting the function of P-gp and increasing intracellular chemotherapeutic agent concentration.
(2) The plasma concentration-time curves of 125I-bFGFmAb conformed to three compartment model. Half life period, clearance rate, tissue distribution were demonstrated. 125I-bFGFmAb was indicated to remarkably inhibit hepatocellular cacinoma and block the bFGF/FGFR signal pathway, prevent cancer vascularization.
3. Cytopretction of chemotherapy
(1) Improving mitochondrial function represents a novel therapeutic strategy in cytoprotection of chemotherapy. We report a strategy that may help preventing adriamycin-induced cardiac lesions by administering ADR in combination with coenzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide hydrogen (NADH). NADH can improve cardiac function and prevent the cytotoxicity of adriamycin without affecting its antitumor activity. NADH could prevent cisplatin-induced mitochondria impairment. Tetrandrine (Tet) could improve the reduced cardiac function and prevent Dox-induced mitochondria impairment in rat carditoxicity.
(2) Carnosine has a potential to promote the recovery from hematopoietic suppression of cyclophosphamide. Effect of carnosine in exhibiting antioxidant activities and might be mediated by the augmented level of growth factor and by the elevated proliferative responsiveness of hematopoietic cells to colony stimulating factors. Carnosine can improve hematopoietic suppression in mice treated with cyclophosphamide significantly. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate EGCG inhibits cell growth and proliferation of breast cancer cell by inhibiting the protein expression of HIF-1α and VEGF.
4. Clinical integrative oncology research
(1) Cytokine-induced killer (CIK) cell intraperitoneal perfusion in combination with radio frequency (RF) local hyperthermia is safe and effective against advanced primary hepatocellular carcinoma. Our study showed that docetaxel and cisplatin plus S-1 (DCS) combination chemotherapy regimen was active against advanced gastric cancer with potential first-line chemotherapy and acceptable toxicities. To investigate effects of immature dendritic cells (iDCs) pulsed with renal tumor cell lysates and other cytokines, and to develop DCs vaccines for stimulation of renal tumour-specific immunity. Renal tumor cell lysates and TNF-α+IL-1β can induce the mature phenotype and IL-12 production by DCs, moreover, can synergistically augment stimulatory effects of the activation of lymphopoiesis cells.
(2) Glucose metabolism disorders (GMDs) are frequent events in malignancy patients. Among 2,408 malignancy patients, the total prevalence of diabetes mellitus (DM) and impaired fasting glucose (IFG) reached 28.0%. Pancreatic cancer, lymphoma, liver cancer, leukemia, and colorectal cancer showed most striking hyperglycemia. Older cancer patients seem to be more vulnerable to hyperglycemia, while the younger tend to be more likely to develop hypoglycemia.
(3) Chinese Herb Formula SENL with chemotherapy could obviously improve clinical symptoms of NSCLC such as cough, sputum, hemoptysis, dyspnea, chest pain and fever. SENL was well known as formula of Glehnia and Ophiopogon Decoction(GOD) which includes glehnia, ophiopogon, solomon’s seal, radix astragalt, hedyotis, fangji, five-finger fig, raw licorice and pseudo-ginseng. SENL herbal formula has been proved to be effective in enhancing efficacy and reducing toxicity in the treatment of lung cancer.
Abstracts this author is presenting: