Name Sanjay Dhiraaj
Designation Additional Professor
Academic Qualifications: M.B.B.S., M.D. (Anesthesiology)
Teaching experience after post graduate degree: 13 years
Areas of Interest:
Involved in running Palliative Care service in our department.
Palliative Care Services started in 2009 at Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow. Till date we have enrolled 1300 new patients and have a follow up of 3500 patients till date.
Home Care visits started in 2010 for patients who are unable to visit Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow. Till date we have made 60 home visits.
Have had regular meetings with the personals from the excise department and they are now sensitive to needs of ailing cancer patients and are willing to facilitate oral morphine procurement procedure.
• Diploma in Palliative Medicine from Cardiff University, UK
Currently enrolled in MSc in Palliative Medicine.
• Under the Asia Pacific Mentoring Program sponsored by Clinical Oncological Society of Australia underwent training in Palliative Medicine under Dr Odette Spruyt, Head of Department of Palliative Medicine at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia from 15th October - 29th December 2012
• Underwent clinical observership at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, USA, for a period of one month from 1st -30th August 2012 under the UICC program
• Attended the refresher course “ Training the trainers” on palliative care for two days from 17-18th March 2012 at Delhi
• Underwent a 6 weeks hands-on course in pain and palliative care at Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences, Trivandrum, Kerala under Dr MR Rajagopal from 4th May till 17th June 2009
Palliative Care Projects:
1. Coordinator of “Essentials of Palliative Care Course” at SGPGIMS, Lucknow. This is a 8 weeks course initiated by Indian Association of Palliative Care providing palliative care training to doctors and nurses.
2. “Development of palliative care services in SGPGIMS” a 3 year project sponsored by JIV Daya Foundation, Texas, USA commenced in May 2011.
3. Development of palliative care services in SGPGIMS” a 2 year project sponsored by Pallium India, India till May 2011.
Recent Workshops conducted, Lectures delivered in Palliative Care
1. Organizing Secretary and faculty of the workshop on “ Leadership and Training in Palliative care” under the auspices of Cairdeas International Palliative Care Trust, UK, Pallium India, India and Emmauel Hospital association, India and Department of Anaesthesiology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, from 28th January till 2nd February 2013
2. Organizing Secretary and faculty of the workshop on “ Symptom Management in palliative Care” Care under the auspices of Cairdeas International Palliative Care Trust, UK, Pallium India, India and Emmauel Hospital association, India and Department of Anaesthesiology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, from 4th-6th February 2013
3. Presented the poster titled “ Role of Complimentary and alternative medicine in palliative care” at the 20th International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative care” from 8-10th February 2013 in Bangalore
4. Presently conducting a certificate course in “Essentials in Palliative Care” . This is a 8 weeks distant learning course with 15 hrs contact session which would be conducted at our institute. This course is an Indian Association of Palliative Care certified course. We have become one of the centers for holding this course.
5. Participated as faculty and delivered a lecture on “Introduction ot Palliative Care” in the “Pain Educational Program” organized at Era Medical College on 6th July 2013
6. Participated as faculty and presented posters titled” Patient satisfaction at discharge from hospital: does it have any significance” and “ Palliative care: new opportunities for the Anaesthesiologists and our experience so far” in the New Zealand Anaesthesia Annual Scientific Meeting held at Dunedin from 6th -9th November 2013
7. Participated as faculty in a panel discussion on “ Pain Management in cardiothoracic surgery” in the 1st World pain Symposium and 3rd ICIPM held from 14th-17th November 2013 at Kolkata. This conference has been accredited by West Bengal Medical Council for 12 hours
8. Participated as faculty and delivered a lecture on “Assessment of Pain” in the “Pain Educational Program” organized at MLB Medical College, Jhansi on 30th November 2013. This CME has been accredited for 2 CME points by Uttar Pradesh Medical Council
Member Scientific Committee:
1. Member of International Association of Hospice and Palliative Care
2. Member of Indian Association of Palliative Care
3. Member of Asia Pacific Hospice Palliative Care
4. Member of International Association for Study of Pain
5. Life member of Indian Society of Anesthesiologist
6. Member of International Association for study of pain (Indian Chapter)
Abstracts this author is presenting: