Background and Context:
”Meet the targets project” project started on March 30, 2012 , ongoing for two years and finally came to an end on March 30,2014.The project is expected to extend for another two years. The project implementation becomes possible because of the financial support of 40,000 USD from American Cancer Society.
The project has two objectives. These are:
1. Making the political, social and economic environment in Ethiopia conducive for the war on NCD.
2. Working the development of National Cancer Control Program in Ethiopia.
Multi-Sectoral approach we followed helped us to put heavy pressure on policy makers & implementers.
The project collaborated with so many consortiums of which the followings are the major ones. Our society is:
· A member of National Technical Working Group on NCDs.
· One of the founding members of Consortium of Ethiopian NCD Associations.
· One of the founding members & executive member of Ethiopian Civil Society Health Forum, consortium of more than 122 NGOs working on health.
Among policy actions taken we can site for instance:
· The development of National Strategic Framework and the National Strategic Action Plan on NCDs.
· Federal Ministry of Health established a new Case Team of five full-time professionals for NCD.
Outcomes/What was learned:
· Cancer treatment is to be given in five major regional university hospitals.