Background and Context:
Research is a horizontal
measure to the four strategic
axes of the National Cancer Prevention
and Control Plan of Morocco (2010-2019): prevention,
early detection, diagnosis and treatment, and palliative care.
During 2010-2011, the situation analysis of cancer research in Morocco showed a lack of strategy and appropriate framework. Thus, the Scientific Committee of Lalla Salma Foundation initiated a plan of oncology research development.
Establish the organizational, financial and scientific requirements for the development of cancer research. The vision is to strengthen cancer control by undertaking research activities focused on patients and Moroccan society wellbeing.
· Definition of an institutional framework for the deployment of cancer research
· Establishing mechanisms for research funding
· Development of training on research and centers of proficiency
· Institution of multidisciplinary team networking
· Creation of a specific structure for cancer research
Awaiting the creation of an institution in charge of cancer research, Lalla Salma Foundation will be supporting the implementation of cancer research development strategy in Morocco, in partnership with concerned public and private organizations.
Outcomes/What was learned:
· Definition of three Collaborative Research Programs (childhood cancers, hematologic cancers and solid tumors) and definition of their research priorities,
· Establishment of the cancer research funding process,
· Creation of the Cancer Research Institute, as Public Interest Group between Lalla Salma Foundation, the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
· Institution of basic and continuing training programs on oncology research,
· Establishing annual call for research proposals, the first selected projects started in early 2014.
All this is accomplished in partnership with several public and private organizations involved in the cancer control. It is a real demonstration of "Joining Forces: Accelerating progress".